Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'm ba-a-a-a-ck! Or, rather, I'm going back soon. Back to Puebla, back to living in my second language for a few weeks.

Two years ago, I tested into Level 3, which was challenging intellectually (pluperfect subjunctive, anyone?), but not really what I needed for comfortable conversation. So this time,  I'm insisting on taking Level 2 -- simple past and future.

I'll have my same host family, the wonderful Olga and Humberto, whose extended family and friends also were so welcoming.

Margaret, a fellow student from two years ago, also will be there. Margaret (known in Mexico as Florida  (pronounced flow-REE-dha) is from Vancouver, WA.,  and we've kept in touch since our Puebla days. When I went to Sock Summit in Portland, OR, last summer, she took me out for a wonderfully authentic meal at a "real" Mexican (not Tex-Mex) restaurant. We had a spice-rubbed pork loin that was outstanding!

I decided to start my immersion experience a little earlier this time: Instead of flying to Mexico City on American Airlines, I'll be using Volaris, a Mexican line. For just over $500, it will take me from Chicago Midway Airport nonstop to Benito Juarez Airport in Ciudad de Mexico, Distrito Federal. It's about a 5-hour flight. The announcements and such will be bilingual (at least!), but Spanish first, and I probably will be in the minority among passengers. As I did last time, I'll be taking a small album of photos, postcards and maps that show where I'm from, where I'm going and a bit about my life. It's a great ice-breaker.

After I clear customs and immigration, I'll be met by a college student guia from the Spanish Institute, and we'll take an  Estrella Roja "executive" bus (comfortable, air-conditioned, similar to Megabus) to Puebla, which is about 75 miles southeast of Mexico City. There, I'll be met by mi familia Mexicana, and we'll probably stay up way too late catching up on what's happened since '10.

The following day, we'll probably just hang around, talking, cooking, eating -- or maybe see some of the extended family. I can't wait to see Ximena (hee-MAY-na) and Carolina (cah-ro-LEE-nah), who are cousins and both about 5, and Ximena's hermanito, Jose Emilio. He was only 3 months old the last time I saw him. Who knows? Carolina may have a baby brother or sister by now.

Next time: Packing for Puebla


No comments:

Post a Comment