Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Why?

Reactions to my upcoming trip seem to fall into two categories: COOL! and WHY?

Since I totally concur with the first, let me answer the second.

"Why?" seems to split into two categories -- why Spanish? and why Mexico, given all of its problems?

Why Spanish?

Because a very large portion of the world's population speaks Spanish, including quite a few people now living in or visiting my adopted home town, Indianapolis.

Because I figure I have up to 30 years left on the planet, and I want to spend part of them traveling to places where English is not the primary language. Since I studied Spanish in high school and college, it seems much more logical to improve my command of Spanish than to switch to, say, Mandarin. (I did try that, but struggled with the tones required to say the words properly.)

Because improving my Spanish will broaden my opportunities for meaningful work, paid or volunteer,  here at home. For instance, Pike Township Schools has a preschool for Latino kids, and bilingual volunteers are needed. I think Washington Township has something similar.

Because it's good for the brain to learn and practice new skills.

Why Mexico, given all of the bad news we hear these days?

Part of it's economics: When the cost of airfare is added to the cost of schooling, the Spanish Institute of Puebla gives me the most bang for the peso. Airfare, school fees, room and board, travel/medical insurance, shots, a new passport, plus what I'm likely to spend on souvenirs, all adds up to about $3,500 for a month of travel, education and fun (including a visit with Joelle and Phil en route home). I could have gone to Spain, Costa Rica, Argentina or any of several other countries, but not for that good a price.

Part of it's logic: Puebla is a very-low-crime state, and I will have local people showing me around. (I won't be visiting the local dives alone at midnight, either!) Puebla also has a hospitable climate and much cleaner air than Mexico City. And because it doesn't attract the "ugly" sort of American tourist who's there to get drunk and act stupid, I expect to have better interactions with the Poblanos.

Part of it's function: Thanks to "Don Ramon" McGlothlin, my Spanish teacher at Jeff in the '60s, I have a Mexican accent already, and that's also what I'm most likely to encounter in Indianapolis. Most of the Hispanic broadcasters here are from various parts of Mexico, as are the TV programs on Univision, so my ear is most attuned to Mexican pronunciations.

So, yes -- I could get ripped off. But that could happen here in Indy, too. And I've traveled enough internationally to know a few basic precautions: Never wear flashy jewelry, don't wander into areas locals haven't said are OK, and carry as few valuables as possible -- and not in easily accessed places. For instance, I'll be carrying a cheap purse, but it will contain only tissues, a dictionary, a lip balm, a pen and probably no more than 130 pesos (about $10 U.S.). "Serious" money, credit/ATM cards, ID and such will either be left "at home" with my host family or carried elsewhere on my person. I'd much rather have a thief grab my purse and run than confront me.

No comments:

Post a Comment